Saturday, October 17, 2009

Fans Don't mind

HADDONFIELD, NJ, Oct. 13, 2009 -- I like to put on the best show possible for the fans and especially the players, during the Haddonfield High School girls soccer night games. Tonight, too many things went wrong, but who cares? The Bulldogs dominated a good Haddon Heights team and walked away with a convincing 4-0 victory. Considering the two teams had played to a scoreless tie earlier in the season made the result even more impressive.

Off the field, a lot of little things went wrong: the restrooms were still locked when the visiting team showed up. At 6:30 the concession stand hadn't yet been set up. Worse, the CD player in the stadium's sound system would not work, telling me there was no CD in the slot when there was. The girls had their warm-up music on tape, but the national anthem was not, so for the first time in many years we went without it. (At least four people suggested to me that I should sing it. I didn't want the fans to leave, so I politely declined.) Towards the end of the game, the cordless microphone went dead -- apparently needed new batteries. And we never could figure out who scored the final goal for Haddonfield.

We'll be ready for seniors night on the 21st. I'll have a back-up CD player or a the Star Spangled Banner on tape and I'll make sure there are new batteries in the mike.

Despite the miscues, it was a good game and a lot of people enjoyed watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment