Monday, September 8, 2014

Back to high school - year 21

Tomorrow is a new high school season, my 21st doing announcing, program-writing, bookkeeping and whatever else a "special assistant" does at Haddonfield Memorial High School.  It's our second year on the new stadium turf and the second season with our awesome coach, Lori Quintavalle, who was maybe 12 when I first met her.  I always tell the parents that my daughter, Kirsten, graduated in 1997 (with Lori's sister, Beth) but they haven't found a way to get rid of me yet. 

Despite my years of coaching at a high level of club soccer, there is an appeal of the high school game, where most girls are playing for their town and their school, for their friends, for peer recognition, and hopefully for fun and good health. This post five years ago reflected on what goes into putting on a night high school game. 

I hope the games remain a memory for the players.  I'm looking forward to this season as much as the past seasons.  Here's to another good year, girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment