Saturday, August 15, 2009

Achtung! German Soccer Announcing

My copy of the German soccer magazine, Kicker-Sonderheft, arrived today, courtesty of my good friend Georg Jarzembowski in Hamburg, who has been mailing me the magazine thistime of year for longer than I can remember.

Reading about the German Bundesliga reminded me of a game my son, Scott, and I attended between Bayern München and SC Freiburg in the Olympic Stadium in Munich back in '99. It was there that I heard the greatest P.A. announcement at a sporting event ever. It came right after Bayern scored to go up, 1-0 and went like this:

Annnoucer: Neues Spielstand (New score)
Bayern
Crowd: Eins! (One)
Announcer: Freiburg
Crowd: Null! (Nothing)
Announcer: danke schön. (Thank you very much.)
Crowd: Bitte schön. (You're welcome.)

They should try that at the next Eagles game,

No comments:

Post a Comment