Sunday, December 26, 2010

RIP, Joe Platt

The world of youth soccer lost a good one today when Joe Platt, long-time president of the South Jersey Girls Soccer League, died this morning. I was privileged to know Joe from when I coached his daughter, Erica, more than 15 years ago, and afterwards. He was truly one of the good guys in the sport.

Usually I am happy to hear from a former player, but the e-mail from Erica Platt Barney today brought the sad news of Joe's sudden passing. Erica, one of the nicest girls I ever coached, said, " I know my father had a wonderful impact on so many lives over the years . . . Through sports and Corpus Christi, work, the community and his Christian walk in life he has met so many wonderful people and I hope I can speak for everyone that he has left a wonderful memory in the hearts of us all."

Rest assured, dear Erica, that your Dad did indeed leave a wonderful memory in the hearts of us all in the South Jersey soccer community - and far beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment