Saturday, June 14, 2014

Missing JAGS

For the first time in more than 10 years I am spending Fathers Day weekend at home rather than at a soccer field.  As reported last year the 33rd JAGS was the last one.  So instead of watching girls chase their college dreams at Mercer County Park, I'm home watching the World Cup.  Not a bad second choice, but I miss seeing all the college coaches, my fellow committee members and the athletes, from 8 years old up to 19.

My daughter. Kirsten, played her first JAGS at age 14 for the Medford Strikers.  Now she's 35 with two kids.  Many of the girls I coached with Joe Dadura are mommies now and those who played for me with the Medford Strikers Xtreme will become parents in the coming years.  (At least one already is.) 

There are many many soccer tournaments and there are many college showcase tournaments, but JAGS was always special.  In the past five years or so it was my lone connection to the sport aside from the high school and this blog, and I looked forward to it each year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment